AUTOMATION TEST ENGINEER
Our client is a leading Financial Services company based in Rivonia (not a bank). They are urgently looking for an Automation Test Engineer who will be responsible for designing, developing and executing automation test cases that verify a software conformance to defined acceptance criteria (i.e. system behaviours) and feature design documents, as well as application standards.
THIS IS A VERY HANDS-ON ROLE THAT REQUIRES A SENIOR RESOURCE TO BOTH BUILD ARCHITECTURE, DESIGN & IMPLEMENT TESTING FRAMEWORKS AND DO TESTING - if you're looking to only manage and delegate, this is not the role for you.
Roles / Responsibilities:
• Design and implement Automation Testing strategy and framework within the test team and advise test manager on requirements and process.
• Evaluate and select appropriate tools, and utilize specific automation testing tools within the ALM range (HP, IBM, MS, open-source etc.) best suited to the environment and/or project(s).
• Plan and perform automation test activities across multiple application architectures.
• Create detailed Automation Test Standard and SOP documents.
• Maintain non-functional script repository in the required location where it is accessible to test team members.
• Develop automation test plans, test cases (scripts) and executing those test cases on allocated projects, coordinating with other test analysts, project managers and test manager to ensure their different timelines are met.
• Together with the testing team, review the architecture and designs of systems and features, and actively engage with Business Analysts and Developers to ensure the soundness of proposed solutions.
• Review and revise acceptance criteria to guarantee they are fit for purpose once fulfilled.
• Source and prepare required test data
• Analyze test results and coordinate with development teams for bug fixes.
• Perform technical and non-functional validations across the development life cycle and provide information on trends and/or failure points.
• Analyze root causes of automation issues (like bottlenecks, restrictions, risks) and provide corrective actions. Provide timeous test results to the project team that include test progress and defect reporting. On a day-to-day basis work with all the stakeholders involved in the SDLC process and also the client (business users).
• To take responsibility for: time management; reporting and monitoring; risk management; issue management; quality assurance during testing
• Provide feedback to development team leaders to aid continuous improvement.
• Provide estimates to team leaders to ensure delivery expectations are managed.
• If required, assist in providing support and training to users of the software both during implementation and post implementation.
• Engage with test analysts to get their input in creating test cases that will benefit the
• Automation Testing, and then translate them for Automation
• Upskill and coach test analysts on how to implement their test cases into
• Automation on their own projects.
• Advise developers on where and how to improve their unit tests for better coverage.
• Review business requirements, functional specifications, to understand how the
• changes impact application automation.
• Work with stakeholders to determine if requirements are captured correctly (test
• case review) and obtain sign-off.
• Grade 12/NQF Level 4
• ISTQB/ISEB Foundation Testing Certification required.
• Qualifications on programming for manipulation of automation scripts.
Preferred / Advantageous Qualifications
• ISTQB Advanced Test Automation qualification Essential Experience and Skills
• Good Microsoft Office skills required, especially Excel.
• 5+ Years’ testing experience with at least 3 years with automation tools (Development, Execution, Analysis and Reporting)
• Solid PL/SQL and SQL experience required.
• Automation skills and experience on tools is required.
• Good understanding of overall automation engineering concepts.
• Good understanding of system architecture.
• Experience with major development languages required as per test automation
• Experience testing of web applications and virtual machines.
• Exposure to web technologies and service layers (e.g. HTTP, HTTPS, TCP/IP, DNS
XML, REST, and HTML)
• Exposure to mobile automation on IOS and Android devices
• Exposure to development or test automation tools/frameworks (e.g. Selenium Grid,
Junit, SOAP-UI, Eclipse, Jenkins, CA-Lisa, Ant, Maven, Visual Studio, HP ALM/QTP and JIRA)
• Exposure to platforms/OS/Servers (e.g. Windows Server, Linux/Unix, J2EE, IIS,
Apache and Tomcat)
Preferred / Advantageous Experience and Skills
• Experience working within a financial services environment
• Visio skills
• Microsoft Project skills
• Working on Agile projects and Agile Testing experience
• Experience on TFS, Selenium and MTM
• Background in development or networking
• Experience and knowledge on performance testing and performance tools
• Hands on Tester
• Innovative thinker